The ABI (Association of British Insurers) is reassuring people that its motor and home insurance members are offering enhanced support to all their customers who may be affected by the impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19).
Over half a million people in the UK have signed up to be NHS Volunteer Responders. These responders and others who are volunteering to help their communities during the coronavirus outbreak do not need to contact their insurer to update documents or extend cover, the ABI have said.
The commitments include waiving any requirements to extend cover for key workers. And also, for people who want to help their communities by transporting medicines; or groceries to support those affected by Coronavirus..
These follow on from guidance issued by the Financial Conduct Authority.
ABI motor and home insurers have pledged to:
- Support those who need to make a claim. Insurers have implemented continuity plans and work closely with service providers to do everything possible in these challenging circumstances. There will be many customers who will need additional support and insurers will prioritise those in vulnerable circumstances.
- Support those who are working from home. If you are an office-based worker and need to work from home, or because you need to self-isolate, your home insurance cover will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.
- Support those who cannot work from home. If you have to drive to your workplace because of the impact of Covid-19, your insurance policy will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.
- Support those who use their cars to help their communities. If you are using your own car for voluntary purposes to transport medicines or groceries to support others who are impacted by the coronavirus, your cover will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover. This applies to all categories of NHS Volunteer Responders, including transporting patients, equipment, or other essential supplies.
- Support key workers. If your work* is critical to the national response to Covid-19 and you need to use your own car to drive to different locations for work purposes because of the impact of Covid-19, your cover will not be affected. You do not need to contact your insurer to update your documents or extend your cover.
- These commitments apply to private cars insured on private car insurance policies only. This does not cover use for hire or reward purposes.
- “Key workers” applies to everyone who works in one of the critical sectors listed by the government.
For any further guidance or information, please feel free to contact us.